The Lords of the Manor of Bostock 1490-1650
The Bostock family continued as Lords of the Manor through nine generations and were involved in the administration of the salt towns of Middlewich and Northwich and in several military adventures.
From 1490 until 1650, the Savage family were a powerful an influential family in Cheshire. Their acquisition of the manor of Bostock with its associated lands in Norcroft, Occleston, Tetton, Wettenhall and elsewhere in the county, was due to the marriage between Sir John Savage VI (c.1470-1527) and Ann Bostock about 1490. Ann was daughter of Sir Ralph Bostock, Lord of the Manor of Bostock, and sister and heir of her brother William whose untimely death in 1489 at the age of 21 or 22 years, brought an end to the Bostock dynasty; the family had been Lords of the Manor throughout the Middle Ages.
By 1527 the Bostock estate that he had inherited was described as consisting of twelve messuages, 300 acres of land, 300 acres of pasture, forty acres of meadow, sixty acres of wood, and thirty acres of turbary (land for gathering turf for domestic fuel) located in the township of Bostock, Huxley and Alsager.
On 14 September 1616 Sir Thomas Savage and others as trustees, granted the ‘Hall of Bostocke’ and the associated lands to Richard Wilbraham, John Done and Edward Glegge, to be held immediately after the death of his mother Dame Mary Savage for a period of eighty-seven years and for the lifetimes of Elizabeth Mainwaring, Sir Thomas’ daughter, Thomas Mainwaring her son and Mary Mainwaring, her daughter. Dame Mary is the only known member of the Savage family to have lived at Bostock Hall during her widowhood and died there in 1635, aged around eighty.
In 1650, John Lord Savage, later Earl Rivers, sold the manor, along with lands in Shurlach and Occleston, to Sir William Acton of London for £6209.